Friday, February 02, 2007

Holier than thou

Passing the Word

Thanks to Alpha Bitch, I was directed to one of those cute on-line quizzes that purport to test your knowledge about one topic or another. Most such quizzes are quite lame. This time, however, the worth of the quiz was validated by my wonderfully high score. I aced a Bible quiz!

You know the Bible 100%!

Wow! You are awesome! You are a true Biblical scholar, not just a hearer but a personal reader! The books, the characters, the events, the verses - you know it all! You are fantastic!

Ultimate Bible Quiz
Create MySpace Quizzes


Am I really a Bible expert? In a word: no. However, I've often noticed that plenty of nonbelievers—of whom I am one—are able to compete on equal terms with devout godbots. The latter are often handicapped by their need to reconcile the internal contradictions of a supposedly perfect text (God's own words, taken in dictation!) and that's not easy. The inconsistencies in Genesis alone are enough to drive a person batty, as you can tell by the arguments of almost any creationist.

Just in case you go over to take the Bible quiz, I'll give you two small hints: Rip Van Winkle is not the person that Jesus raised from the dead and Xena is not the person who called fire down from the heavens (though she could have if she wanted to!).

6 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

Rip Van Winkle might not be real, but Irving was a much better writer than whoever first scribbled "Yahweh." (or however you write it in Hebrew)

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, Rip Van Winkle was a retelling of an earlier German tale called Karl Katz. But I understand most of the tales in the Bible are retellings of earlier myths of that region, so what the heck.

Anonymous said...

A disgruntled taker of the first quiz made a harder one: The Bible Quiz of Greater Ultimacy.

Russell Blackford said...

Sorry, but I also got 100 per cent. There are lots of us wonderful Bible scholars.

alphabitch said...

oh wow, that other one is much harder. I could only even guess on two of them. Of course, I'm a total heathen.

I often find (despite my failure to score 100%) that, like Zeno, I can usually hold my own in bible arguments with devout godbots. If the have read it, they only seem to recall the parts that agree with what their pastor tells them. They are frequently surprised -- shocked, even -- when I take out a bible and show them things they had no idea were there.

King Aardvark said...

I only got 87, which ain't bad considering I've only read bits of it, and that was back in highschool (I went to a catholic school).

Up until this past year when she's made a real effort to read the bible (she's still in the OT), I had much more knowledge of the bible than my devout wife. It's frightening their lack of interest in their own beliefs sometimes.

Man, that 2nd test sure is hard. I didn't know any of it.