Sen. John McCain manages with the help of a compliant mass media to cling to his reputation as a straight-talking maverick. That's a good trick, considering how regularly he has backed away from his positions whenever they conflict with the party line as laid down by the Bush White House. McCain has turned into the president's faithful old lapdog as his campaign has devolved into a crusade for what amounts to a third term for the policies of George W. Bush.
Jane Hamsher of FireDogLake thinks people should pay more attention to McCain's current policies, as opposed to those he once espoused during his maverick days. Since people love to go to the Internet for information, Jane suggests a constructive campaign of Googlebombing. For the uninitiated, Googlebombing consists of relentlessly linking someone to something else in one's Internet postings. If one is diligent enough, the number of links will earn high visibility from Google. (If you don't believe this can work, ask former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum about Dan Savage.)
Jane suggests a modest bill of particulars concerning McCain's Bush-compliant policies. It would be most appropriate if they were to pop up whenever someone googles Sen. McCain. I'm doing my small part to raise their profile in the blogosphere. Herewith the list, a collection of nine telling headlines:
- McCain: US economic woes 'psychological'
- McCain housing policy shaped by lobbyist
- Bush, McCain plug Social Security
- McCain blasts Obama's and Clinton's attacks on NAFTA
- McCain in NH: Would Be “Fine” To Keep Troops in Iraq for “A Hundred Years”
- McCain: Bush right to veto kids health insurance expansion
- Senate passes expanded GI bill despite Bush, McCain opposition
- McCain says overturn the law that legalized abortion
- McCain Defends Bush's Iraq Strategy